Tuesday, January 18, 2011

100 Days

Owen had a cardiologist appointment yesterday, and everything looks great.  He gained almost a pound in two weeks, he was 7lbs 12 oz yesterday, and he's up to 21 inches long.  It's so relieving to me that he is finally gaining weight, and doing it at as well as he is.  The only thing the doctor's want to keep a close eye on right now is the pressure in his lungs, it is a little on the high side.  This is totally normal for someone with a VSD, as they are getting twice the normal amount of blood flow to the lungs.  The good thing about this right now is that it is probably helping Owen gain weight as well as he is, the bad thing is that it could get worse and then sabotage everything. 

The best thing about yesterday's appointment: The Dr. says it will be 100 days or less until surgery!  They would love to see him weigh 5 kilos, which is about 11 pounds.  Right now he is gaining 32 grams a day, which I guess is about and ounce and a half, based on what I've figured.  By the way I love going to the cardiologist because I get transported from America to Europe, they don't measure ANYTHING in a way I understand, so I have to come home and translate it for myself!

In other news, Kelly and I braved the snow and visited a pretty cool store in Neenah, Mom and Pop place.  They have lots of cool baby and kids toys, and natural products for baby and mom.  Nate called it a hippy store because they sell cloth diapers, but I thought overall it was a nice place.  They also have a cafe and activities for kids and moms that are free.  Definitely pay it a visit if you want to check out some of the cool toys and gadgets that you would only be able to buy online. 

Only one gripe, no bottle feeding supplies, which kind of gets me down.  I am all for breastfeeding, I wanted to do it for a year.  For us, it wasn't a choice, and it's one of those things that people who haven't been there don't understand, and I feel like the people in that store would look down on me for giving my tiny baby a bottle, because they can be close minded, and just don't want to understand that he is special. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Melissa,
    Been Reading up on little Owen! Seems like he has one strong mama on his hands! Will be praying for the little guy! I love going to the Mom and Pop place, it is so nice to have a kid friendly place to go (and the paninis are amazing!). Anyway, they do have some awesome bottles there on the back wall. Most of them are the rare ones that you can't find at Target and Walmart. As far as nursing mamas....sometimes they can be judging, I have totally caught myself doing it before (to be honest!) in my head. But I totally understand that it isn't for everyone! The ladies who work there are very supportive towards everyone. They are big time bf advocates only because it seems so rare in our society and there are even people out there who are trying to make it illegal to bf in public. It's really hard to find a group of bf mamas for support and they are doing that there. They are definitely not trying to make any bottle feeding mama feel bad, so please don't. :) I have seen many a mamas bottle feeding....my little sisters and I have gone many times and they both bottle feed. Well, anyway, enough of that. Just wanted to clarify since I have been going there for years! Didn't want you to feel uncomfortable there. Maybe we'll run into each other sometime :)

    ReplyDelete